Tuesday 8 September 2015

...Debugging HFM rules

Hi all,

I hope you are doing well. I just came back from a 3-weeks holidays ready for a new year hopefully full with Hyperion projects and consolidation challenges.

Proem
Last night I was discussing in the OTN forum on how to debug a complex set of rules. This discussion brought into my mind the multiple times during the last project that I was in the same situation and I was trying to find a problem in a mechanism that includes triggers, variables and multiple HFM expressions.

Unfortunately when you are working on a complex set of rules with different cases and different statements, it is really easy to make a mistake and misread or misinterpret the existing rules.

For this reason, I believe that the easiest way to find the solution to your problem is
to start extracting the results in a text file.

Main
In order to achieve this, you just need to add in the end of your rule file a sub routine similar to the following:

So when you are not sure about what is the outcome or what is the value of the variable just type:

Epilogue
That's all... Just to say that this is not something that I have invented but it’s one of the first lessons that I learnt when I started working with HFM rules.

See you around,

Kind regards,

Thanos



No comments:

Post a Comment

...using SmartView

Last week I was chatting with an ex-colleagues about our HFM experiences. After 10 years, we both have a lot of stories to share but a...