Sunday 23 March 2014

..delays


Initially, I had in mind to write an analysis related to the HFM application settings. However, after such a huge delay, I think that I should describe what I experienced the first 3 months of 2014.

    1. Proem

So, 2013 left our lived a few months ago and 2014 came in. Santa Clause did his annual job and brought a lot of lovely presents and Oracle teams did their job and brought HFM version11.1.2.3, FDMEE and a whole set of new features which will improve our applications.

    2. Installation of version 11.1.2.3+



The first time that I decided to postpone the publishing of the first post of the year, I was engaged in the installation and configuration of HFM and FDMEE in a 3-tier system.

I was amazed by the simplicity of the installer and how smoothly the whole process was. I believe that key in the installation is to read all the available documentation, spend time in designing the layout of the environment based on the specification provided by Oracle and of course make sure that Oracle approves the designs.

(To be honest, I read the documents twice and I am pretty sure that I have missed a lot of points but I printed the installation list proposed by Oracle in order to be sure that I have not missed anything. I did the same during the design of the architecture in order to make sure that the correct components were at the correct place. The worst part of the installation process was the waiting period to receive the hardware. As soon as I got access to the servers, it was a matter of two days to install and test the different components. I admit that I did not spend time to optimize the system but that was not part of the exercise since I built just a pilot system.)

     3. Configuration of FDMEE

The second time that I decided to postpone the publishing of the first post of the year, I was engaged in the configuration the FDMEE application.

It is obvious that Oracle development team did a huge step from FDM classic to FDMEE. FDMEE is the combination of FDM classic and ERPi (ODI). FDMEE does not require installation on the application tier and uses Jython instead of VB scripts. Additionally, FDMEE includes a new mapping type which automates the “vlookup” mappings that we had to write in FDM classic and the application is able to create native groups in Shared services in an attempt to simplify the authentication task.

As a final note, please make sure that you patch the latest available patch or you will miss essential functionality. The rest of the configuration is as easy as described in the Oracle manual and not much different from the configuration of FDM classic.

    4. HFM application requirements

The third time that I decided to postpone the publishing of the first post of the year, I was engaged in the writing the requirements of the HFM application upgrade project.

We ended up with a 60-pages document which includes paragraphs related with the summary of changes, stakeholders, application purpose, application universe, reporting scenarios, report library, business target dates, submission process, consolidation mechanism etc.

Such tasks as requirements gathering prove why functional consulting is so awesome!!!

     5. Epilogue

I admit that I had in mind to update the blog much more often but it seems that it is more important to experience some things before writing them in a blog.

Waiting for your comments!! What did you do the first 3 months??

Cheers,

Thanos

No comments:

Post a Comment

...using SmartView

Last week I was chatting with an ex-colleagues about our HFM experiences. After 10 years, we both have a lot of stories to share but a...